Tuesday 5 October 2010

ART IMITATING LIFE IMITATING ART IMITATING LIFE…

Here’s the story behind a story which might be of interest to anyone who saw it and is hopefully the last you’ll need ever hear on the matter…

I’m not the world’s most sociable soul. In fact the thought of attending any kind of social function can put me into a tailspin of fear that can lead to the kind of self imposed mental and physical torture that really isn’t anyone else’s problem, but can be not a lot of fun to live with. Once more I raise a metaphorical toast of thanks and gratitude to the elusive beloved and her infinite patience with and understanding of me and my little ways.

Anyway, because I was feeling a bit lost, I stuck my nose out of my hovel and decided to engage with the world for a little while and see whether it still remembered I was here, and so it was that I found myself dallying with the dubious delights of electronic communication and, as luck would have it, chose a time when all manner of chaos was breaking out amongst a certain section of my friends and former colleagues.

Somehow, mostly due to my own idiocy about these things, but also due to a certain amount of needing to insulate myself from the pain that friendship can bring along with it sometimes, I had managed to lose all touch with pretty much everybody over the years, and was rather resigned to my new non-existence as “the forgotten man” when a short email popped into my inbox, courtesy of those little electronic feelers I had so tentatively put out with such little expectation of result, telling me of this impending crisis and other news of a shocking and disturbing nature. In my head people should always remain the same as when I last saw them, so major changes in their life tend to take me a long while to adjust to, so anything like that shocks and disturbs me. Think about how much your own life can change in a decade and you’ll hopefully realise a little why I have a tendency to run away from you screaming.

Anyway, a few days later, another email arrived telling me that in order to “celebrate” the passing of the company that had so long employed them (and for a decade or so back in the day, myself as well) they had decided to throw a party. I was confused for a while about this. Was imminent mass unemployment a cause for celebration? I know that if I’d been in their position, I’d’ve been running around in headless chicken mode, howling with rage and panic and fear and probably disappeared under the duvet for six months, emerging only for the occasional whimper. “Obviously these folk are made of sterner stuff than I am”, I thought, but it threw up another problem: The party was open to any and all past employees too, and would I like to attend?

Tailspin.

Weeks of fear and dithering and non-commitment followed and ultimately I did go along, had a great time, renewed some old acquaintances and everything was fine and lovely and smashing. In case you were concerned, they all seemed to be doing reasonably well in themselves despite it being a terribly difficult time for them all. They’re a strong and supportive group who are looking out for each other and hopefully will continue to do so.

At about the same time as the initial email (“of Doom!”), I got another email telling me that the local amateur theatre that I still have (very) loose connections with were planning an event to help launch their new Studio Theatre project and they were interested in presenting some new writing as part of an evening of entertainment, short pieces of around ten minutes if at all possible.

I had nothing.

Nothing at all.

But I had a couple of ideas, and over the next couple of days “Alaskan Ally” was born. “A jolly little tale of suicide by the great outdoors” as I later dubbed it. I don’t know whether it’s really any good or not, but people who’ve read it seem to have enjoyed it. The other idea was more of a problem. I’ve been thinking about a “workplace comedy” for a while now, but nothing seemed to gel. Perhaps if I sat my five lads (later four - “Andy” was despatched to wherever great beyond unused literary creations go, but I hope he and “Aunt Agatha” are having a nice chat wherever they are now) down at a table in a pub on the night their old firm closed down…?

Pretty soon the four old lads were sitting in that very anonymous pub discussing the demise of their firm and were later joined by a sinister misfit who they vaguely remembered working with a dozen or so years earlier. Once again, my jolly little comedy had turned into something a tad more sinister with a little hint of the consequences of careless talk and the horrors of stalking thrown into the mix. One short slice of an evening of their lives in which they failed to discuss their worries about future employment (that came after a few more beers, I’m sure) but touched upon pretty much everything else. All of this because I was a bit frightened about going to a party and so I had to consider what the worst that it could be might possibly be.

So, I’ve explored those characters now, and they now seem to live and breathe in my head as fully rounded individuals with unique and distinct voices, and hopefully I can now take them on into their journey, and start on the full length drama that will be joining all the rest in that dusty drawer sometime in the near future. Or maybe I won’t. Maybe, if the workshops ever happen, everyone involved will all discover more about them too, but for now, they’ve only got that ten minutes to shine in, but I hope people enjoy being in their company for that brief moment.

As to myself, I know that having actually enjoyed my night out won’t stop me feeling terrified and anxious next time an invitation comes around, but the point I think I’m trying to make here is that writing comes from the stuff that’s happening all around you all the time. You pluck these little moments from your life, turn them around in your imagination, and turn them into something else. “The Bitter End” (as I eventually called that piece) is not autobiographical and no real people or events are involved in it, but it was born out of my own fears and doubts and worries about what such an evening could be like, and probably, in the end, says more about me than it does anything else.

3 comments:

lloydy said...

Martin, I am very pleased that despite the internal conflict, you managed to persuade yourself to attend our bitter-sweet soiree. All the better for your presence. I don't wish to present myself as some sort of amateur psychologist here but it seems to me that your creativity stems in part from your minute analysis of situations that others would regard as relatively inconsequential. The angst & the creativity arise from the same source. Is it a curse or a blessing? I guess there are good times & bad- just like everyone else really.
Am enjoying the blog,
A

MAWH said...

To quote Frank Black in the much under-rated "Millennium" TV series: "It's my gift, it's my curse."
Thank you, however, for the encouragement. I've had a couple of days where the writings have got very dark and I've not posted them because they slip slightly into a "moody teenager" mode that I'm really too old for, and when Andy's putting out such life-affirming stuff, it would seem churlish. Perhaps when I'm feeling brighter, I'll put them out there to show off their irony or maybe I'll just file them away under "twaddle".

akh said...

Mart - I love your stuff.

It makes me look like a happy, simple, optimist.