Thursday 3 March 2011

WATERING CAN WOES

I parked my car on a summer’s evening
And strolled homewards to my door.
A boy was playing on the path
So I smiled and walked past him.

The boy chased me with his watering can.
“I’m going to get you wet!” he said.
“Please don’t” I replied.
But he carried on anyway.

So I went inside and Hid
But kept myself dry.
I watched him torment the gardens for a while
Until he went away.

But he left the watering can outside.
Forgotten in all his other fun.
I picked it up and carried it over
To his Grandmother’s back door.

The door was open but no one was around.
I thought about this for a moment,
Then put it down on the step
And left it there.

I hoped they’d find it but then I had a worry.
They would not expect it to be there.
What if in all their dashing about
Someone tripped over it and fell?

Would the boy be punished
For something I had done?
Had my act of thoughtfulness
Spoiled all his fun?

(Martin A W Holmes March 03 2011)

No comments: